Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dreams, Sleep, and Reading


Have you ever had a dream that, even though it was just a dream and not a real representation of the person with whom you interacted in that dream, causes your perception of and relationship with that person in the dream to change?

That was me, last night.  It was weird and uncomfortable and it will take some time before I am able to look at the person in that dream normally again.  Oy.

I was able to get a decent amount of sleep last night, even though I stayed up doing reading for homework that I didn't know was due next week until this morning.  I also was up typing my notes from Evolutionary Psychology because I had an exam today and that's how I study.  The test was shorter than the professor typically gives, but I was fairly confident with most of my answers, gave a very thorough essay answer for the last question and finished within half-an-hour.  I'll find out next Tuesday how I did.

Tomorrow will be a rather big day as well.  I'm having lunch with two friends, one of whom is visiting from graduate school.  Then I'll be volunteering at an animal shelter, because I need my kitty fix (no, really, you have no idea -- I am desperate to pet a cat).  Tomorrow the hire letters for Housing and Residence Life positions are going out, too.  I applied for the same position I'm currently holding but there's no guarantee that I'll get it.  Here's to the best possible outcome, whether it means me in the position or not!

After tomorrow, Saturday is the official date of my relationship's anniversary, so that's exciting.  I don't think we're doing anything specific, except maybe going to one of our favorite restaurants (which is one of the first we went to together).  Other than that, I know we have some gym time planned, but that's it.

I'm sure I have plenty of homework to keep me busy this weekend, but I'm going to take the time to get organized, make a list of major due dates, and figure out what needs to happen next.  The time just before spring break almost feels like finals time sometimes, so it's best just to step back and analyze what you have to do before jumping in.

Today I also managed to submit two applications to present at the Student Conference.  One of these submissions is a paper I wrote last semester about the similarities between Hamlet and Frankenstein and the other is a nonfiction essay about my understanding of my aunt prior to and after her death.

The book I'm currently reading, Betwixt
by Tara Bray Smith
This evening I'm hoping to spend some me time before my boyfriend arrives, just doing something fun, like reading more of Betwixt.  It's been a while now since I could just sit and relax for a bit.  I know I'll be spending some of that time panicking about how I should be productive, but I can't be effectively productive if I don't take a coupe hours for myself, either, so I might as well just relax for a bit.

I'm hoping dinner is quick and good tonight.  There have been a disconcerting amount of chicken patties for meals lately, so I'm ready for something new and healthier.  All of the winter seems to be all about fried food.  It's hard because I want to eat better than that, but I can't eat a salad every day during the winter -- first of all, it's too cold to not be eating hot food, second, it's not filling enough most times, and third, you get sick of the taste relatively quickly.

But there hasn't been much going on that's been very exciting the last couple days despite my absence.  It's mostly just that I've been too busy to sleep, let alone write a substantial and coherent blog post.  But that's life, I guess.

I apparently scratched my hand earlier, though I don't remember doing it.  It's just a small one, but it's always odd when you don't notice being scratched.  I vaguely remember scratching it, I guess, but I don't remember seeing any results until I noticed it a little while ago.

Maybe I'll get to take a nap during that me time I was talking about earlier.  That would be nice.  That would be really nice.

For now, I'm just waiting til 4:30 when my office hours are up and I'll go to dinner and then back to my room to get into comfy clothes and a nice thick book.

No comments:

Post a Comment